The Critical Need for Nutrition Education
Effective January 1, 2024 the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics will require all registered dietitian candidates to have a master’s degree.
Nutrition-related issues have never been more important to our nation's health than they are right now — five out of 10 chronic illnesses in the U.S. today are nutrition related.
Whether the discussion centers on organic farming, food deserts, nutrition labels, food insecurity, or our nation's obesity epidemic, people crave consumer-friendly, accurate information about nutritional health and the food we eat from a trusted source.
With a master's in nutrition, you can help combat misinformation and empower people in your community and beyond to make healthier food choices and improve their quality of life.
Become a Trusted Source of Nutrition Information
The online Master of Science (MS) in Nutrition Education from American University is a unique graduate program that focuses on the science of nutrition as well as the educational strategies necessary to impact behavior change at the individual, community, and population level. The advanced degree gives you the knowledge and skills to turn your passion into a life-long career, helping better the lives of others while strengthening the community around you.
This Online Program Easily Supports Your Career Goals
Delivered through an innovative online platform that allows you to maintain your current career and learn where and when it’s best for you, you'll gain focused theoretical and practical training in the field of nutrition and can prepare for certification to become a nutritionist.
Accepted applicants to the online master’s program in nutrition education may be eligible for scholarship opportunities. Request more information to learn more.
Advance Your Career and The Lives of Others with Nutrition
No prior degree in nutrition is necessary to pursue the online MS in Nutrition Education — making it an excellent option for career changers who are passionate about nutrition. As one of only a few nutrition master's programs nationwide that focuses on education, the program is also ideal for those dedicated to using nutrition to better the lives of others.
Students graduate ready to:
- Share their scientific knowledge in nutrition consistent with health recommendations with populations of different ages, genders, and cultures
- Design and implement nutrition-education programs in corporations, government organizations, schools, and universities
- Use communication strategies such as social marketing and consumer-friendly health writing to communicate to the public and advocate for nutritional health
- Design studies and utilize research methods in order to analyze the relationship between nutrition and disease
- Develop program and intervention skills related to nutrition
- Understand scientific principles of nutrition with education and program planning for improved health and nutrition behavior
Learn more about the online Master's in Nutrition Education degree at our Virtual Open House from Dr. Anastasia Snelling, Program Director and Chair of the Department of Health Studies.
Learn Nutrition Education from Leading Experts
Our program is taught by an experienced and committed faculty who are:
- members of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- fellows in the American College of Nutrition
- conducting and publishing research on the impact of nutrition on chronic disease risk factors, length and quality of life, obesity prevention, and other topics
- published in the Journal of Nutrition and other leading journals
- recognized experts on nutrition topics and are regularly featured on top news outlets such as CBS News, C-Span, Washington Journal and others
- experienced leaders in community gardening and nutrition-education programs in their own communities
A Helpful Network is Dedicated to Your Career Goals
Faculty, students, and alumni in the online Master’s in Nutrition Education program are dedicated to helping you reach your education and career goals through ongoing mentorship, education, and networking opportunities. Offerings include:
- Mentorship Program
Halfway through the online graduate program, you will be matched with a faculty mentor who will be available to work with you on resume development, job search navigation, and making connections based on your location and professional interests. Faculty mentors also serve as a valuable resource for any program or course-related items.
- Student Webinars
Webinars are hosted every semester on popular topics and trends such as Health Literacy in the Federal Government Nutrition Policy, Food Access and Nutrition Education Insights, and Creating and Running an Online Business and Food and Nutrition Writing.
- Networking Events
Events are available to students who are local or willing to travel to meet peers, faculty and industry experts.
- Social Media
Students, alumni and faculty share open dialogue about the program as well as provide information about jobs and industry trends on dedicated Facebook and LinkedIn groups.
Become a Certified Nutrition Specialist ®™
This online degree program provides a stepping stone to the Certified Nutrition Specialist®™ credential. Additional coursework in clinical nutrition, bio/life sciences, and biochemistry, as well as supervised practice experience, are necessary for CNS® eligibility.
Look Forward to Career Success After Graduation
Post graduation, you can expect to look forward to a successful career in nutrition education. The need for nutrition experts is clear — according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for the field is expected to grow 16 percent from 2014-2024, much faster than average.*
"Our graduate census shows that 93 percent of our master's graduates in the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) were employed within six months of graduation." - American University
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, accessed at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/dietitians-and-nutritionists.htm
Among the best online graduate education programs by US News & World Report (2018)
Get the Details of the Nutrition Education Program Now
Be a positive, nutrition-education role model within the community. Click here to learn more about the online Master of Science in Nutrition Education or call 855-725-7614 to speak with an admissions adviser today.