Click Here for Video Transcript
DAVID ROSENBLOOM: I teach public administrators how to respect other people's rights, and how not to violate the individual's constitutional rights, how to do their jobs within the framework of protecting individual rights and even human rights.
CONSTANCE LINDSAY: Students, literally their next step is into a job where they're using all the skills that they learned. So whether it's the Quantitative Methods class or the Policy Process class, they're using the skills that they learned right there on the ground. If they're in DC, or if they go back to a different state and work for state government, local school boards, they're using it. So I think that's very rewarding.
Develop Public Affairs Leadership Skills in Our Prestigious Program
Organizations in the private, public, and nonprofit sectors seek leaders who possess expertise in both policy analysis and management. Acquire valuable knowledge and skills with American University's online Master of Public Administration and Policy (MPAP) program. The degree blends foundational competencies from our nationally recognized and NASPAA-accredited Master in Public Administration (MPA) and Master in Public Policy (MPP) programs to offer you a prestigious and marketable credential.
Based in Washington, DC, American University is among the nation's top-ranked schools for public affairs. For over 80 years, the School of Public Affairs has transformed its students into public management leaders who serve in countless public and private functions that enhance not only the lives of its graduates, but all of society. This online two-year program enables you to earn a graduate degree in public administration and policy on your schedule. It also gives you immediate access to American University's vast network of policy experts, reputed faculty, and well-connected alumni.
With a Master in Public Administration and Policy, you will gain critical knowledge in both policy analysis and public administration to advance your career and add value in public service. Regardless of where you live and work, you can study at an institution with a long-standing reputation for excellence and deep connections in public affairs. Recent rankings for American University's School of Public Affairs include:
Upon completion, you will possess the knowledge and skills to:
- analyze administrative problems and craft solutions by applying knowledge of organizational management and leadership, organizational structure and culture, human resource systems, as well as the political and legal context of contemporary public service organizations.
- formulate, evaluate, and communicate public policies and programs using acquired analytic frameworks and methodological skills, including statistics, economics, and politics while considering their responsiveness, accountability, effectiveness and equity.
- incorporate a range of constitutional and ethical values into policy and administrative analysis and actions, including respect for the diversity of people and perspectives in the policy process.
- apply acquired skillsets, expertise, and values to real-world policy and organizational problems in a collaborative manner.
A Proven Curriculum from a Recognized Institution
When you choose the online Master of Public Administration and Policy from American University, you receive an education that provides a targeted blend of courses in public administration and policy analysis. The MPAP curriculum takes you from start to finish in a predictably sequenced curriculum in as few as 24 months, during which you take two courses per semester, including fall, spring, and summer.
Establish a Career Leading and Defining Public Policy
Government, nonprofit, and for-profit organizations hiring managers actively recruit professionals with the knowledge and skills to effectively and efficiently achieve public objectives. Candidates must have the foresight, insight, and critical thinking to craft policies and monitor their implementation and success. Those able to understand policy problems, craft effective solutions, and successfully put policies in action are in high demand.
The online Master of Public Administration and Policy (MPAP) is spearheaded by American University’s School of Public Affairs’ highly regarded on-campus faculty and instructors. These academics do more than facilitate a learning experience online — they elevate the quality of instruction by incorporating their own real-world and practical experiences. Well-connected and influential, these leading scholars come from a variety of areas within public administration, public policy, and organization development.
What are your admissions requirements for the online Master of Public Administration and Policy?
Can I be admitted to the program if I do not have a BA in public policy or administration?
How long does it take to complete the Master of Public Administration and Policy?
Are there any specializations offered?
Do you require submission of test scores?
Can the GRE be waived?
What are the admission requirements for international students?
What documents are required when applying?
• A $55 application Fee
• Phone Interview with Admissions Advisor
• Statement of purpose
• Two letters of recommendation, which may be from former professors as well as current or former employers
• Transcripts from previous undergraduate and relevant graduate coursework (If a degree was earned outside the U.S., a course-by-course evaluated transcript is required.)
• GRE or LSAT scores
When is the deadline for application?
Is financial aid available?
What is the Policy Practicum?
Where do alumni of the Master of Public Administration and Policy program find employment?
What potential jobs can I find in nonprofit organizations?
•Nonprofit Program Manager
•Nonprofit Budget Analyst
•Nonprofit Operations Manager
•Director of Development
•Chief Operating Officer
•Chief Executive Officer
Will this degree help me enter the nonprofit sector?
Will I be able to take advantage of the same resources as on-campus students do?
Are there scholarships available for the program?
Rankings & Accreditation
100% of American University's School of Public Affairs graduates are working in the field, in graduate school or both within six months.
ONE VERSATILE DEGREE, COUNTLESS CAREER PATHS
American University is internationally recognized for its passion for public service, political activism, and location in Washington, DC—a political, cultural, and media capital. School of Public Affairs alumni report a 100-percent rate of post-graduation employment, continued graduate education, or both within six months of receiving their degree.
Our MPAP degree arms you with the analytical, contextual, ethical, and substantive skills and knowledge critical to effectively advise public policy and lead public programs. These key skills are in high demand for careers across the private, public, and nonprofit sectors, at all levels of government.
Upon completion, you will possess the knowledge and skills to:
- Analyze administrative problems and craft solutions by applying knowledge of organizational management and leadership, organizational structure and culture, human resource systems, as well as the political and legal context of contemporary public service organizations.
- Formulate, evaluate, and communicate public policies and programs using acquired analytic frameworks and methodological skills, including statistics, economics, and politics while considering their responsiveness, accountability, effectiveness and equity.
- Incorporate a range of constitutional and ethical values into policy and administrative analysis and actions, including respect for the diversity of people and perspectives in the policy process.
- Apply acquired skill sets, expertise, and values to real-world policy and organizational problems in a collaborative manner.
ONLINE MPAP GRADUATES JOIN PRESTIGIOUS PRESIDENTAL MANAGEMENT FELLOWS PROGRAM
"The experiences I had through my education with AU, and my relationships with professors—that was the real preparation." — SARAH SCHROEDER, MASTER OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION AND POLICY, '18
Read more about online MPAP graduates Sarah Schroeder and Katie Eagan Schenck, and their experiences joining the prestigious ranks of the PMF program.
Marissa Brown, Master of Public Administration and Policy, '18"...a program that caters to my needs and positions me for my dream job."
I am eternally grateful for the opportunity in a program that caters to my needs and positions me for my dream job. American University’s reputation and ideal location provides the perfect environment. The School of Public Affairs transforms lives of students like myself to thrive in the public administration and policy fields.
WASHINGTON POLICY EXPERTS LEADING THE WAY
WHETHER TEACHING A CLASS OR SPEAKING TO LEGISLATORS, MPAP FACULTY ARE ALWAYS ACTIVELY ENGAGED.
VICKY WILKINS: I think the School of Public Affairs at American University stands out and is often ranked among the best schools of Public Affairs because of the fact that we have such a active and engaged faculty. Our faculty are just as comfortable in the classroom as they are behind their desk doing research as they are downtown giving testimony to Congress.
At the helm of the online Master of Public Administration and Policy is our School of Public Affair's renowned faculty, whose Washington expertise allows us to expose students to the practical application of policy analysis and provide unique insight into public administration challenges currently facing policy experts and administrators. Our online MPAP courses are developed by faculty who:
- Have held senior leadership positions at the American Society of Public Administration and the National Academy of Public Administration
- Consult and train NGOs and donor agencies
- Work with leading Washington, DC think tanks
- Spearhead critical government-funded public policy research
- Have personally led state legislation implementation
- Are frequently published in leading public affairs journals
- Are authors of leading textbooks in their field
- Have won several prestigious awards in the field
- Regularly appear as expert speakers at conferences and in the media
As experts in every aspect of public service, these highly motivated and skilled educators from the School of Public Affairs develop all courses for this MPAP degree. They work in close cooperation with course instructors who mentor and guide students through the day-to-day learning process. All of our instructors hold advanced degrees in public affairs. Our instructors are well-connected professionals working in government and the nonprofit sector. Together, our online faculty delivers a comprehensive understanding of core administrative and policy analytic skills in an effective and engaging manner. Our faculty's academic credentials, real-world experience, and political and policy expertise provide you with a world-class education that prepares you for immediate success in your career.
To learn more about how American University's online Master of Public Administration and Policy can advance your career, request more information or call us toll free at 855-725-7614.