Project and Program Evaluation is on the Rise
The growth rate of program evaluation jobs reflects the relatively new status quo of transparency and accountability in spending that’s taken hold in government, nonprofit, and commercial organizations across the globe. In the D.C. area, social science positions will see a 29 percent growth rate from 2010-2020. Nationwide, that number is still more than double the average growth rate at 19 percent.1
BECOME WORKFORCE-READY WITH THE PROFESSIONAL STUDIES EXPERIENCE
The online MS in Measurement & Evaluation program delivers the skills employers look for when hiring. To ensure students have that knowledge and understanding, we have built a four-phase curriculum model or framework called the Professional Studies Experience (PSE).
This model has been applied to the Measurement & Evaluation master's degree, featuring courses with professionally aligned class work, as well as required courses that foster a broader skill set that employers have identified as relevant and valuable.
COURSES ALIGNED WITH YOUR FUTURE PROFESSION
Students receive advanced training focusing on building workplace skills in communication, teamwork, ethical decision-making, innovation, and emerging technologies. Students gain cross-cultural competencies and collaborative skills essential for success in the 21st-century global knowledge economy.
We offer a high-caliber education in Measurement & Evaluation that is relevant and immediately applicable to the workplace. Our curriculum goes beyond the reach of a standard master's degree.
MASTER KEY ANALYTICAL SKILLS TO BE EFFECTIVE NOW
The flexible, online Master of Science in Measurement and Evaluation degree was created by American University specifically to teach the insider skills needed to excel in an evaluator position of your choice. It prepares you to lead monitoring and evaluation efforts and be impactful in your current career while you learn. Additionally, a Graduate Certificate in Project Monitoring & Evaluation is available to quickly build key skills and earn credits toward the graduate program at a later date.
If you’d like to learn more about the MS degree or graduate certificate, click here now.
92% of American University’s master's graduates are working in the field, in graduate school or both within six months.
PREPARE FOR A PROGRAM EVALUATION POSITION IN ANY SECTOR
In the last decade, regulations dedicated to accountability in spending were pushed forward, paving the way for a number of new evaluator positions. During this time:
- The U.S. State Department and the U.S. Agency for International Development established policies on the monitoring and evaluation of programs.
- Policies such as the Government Performance and Results Act Modernization Act of 2010 (GPRAMA) were enacted.
- Nonprofit and commercial organizations followed suit, making program and project evaluation a matter of routine.
- Industry growth is also noted in membership of the American Evaluation Association — the professional association of evaluators — which has more than doubled since 2001.
WORK IN ONE OF THE MANY TOP SECTORS FOR PROGRAM EVALUATION:
- Higher Education
- Program Evaluation Firms
- Non-Government Agencies
SECURE AN EXECUTIVE POSITION SUCH AS:
- Top Executive
- Operation Manager
- Program Analyst
- Management Analyst/Consultant
- Emergency Management Director
- Social & Community Service Managers
- Market Research Analysts
- Operation Research Analysts
- Urban & Regional Planners
- Director of Evaluation
LEARN MONITORING AND EVALUATION FROM THE EXPERTS
To deliver a strong ROI in your MS in Measurement and Evaluation degree, AU constructed the program with an expert advisory panel to deliver an experiential degree that speaks directly to teaching the key core competencies, best-practice standards, and industry trends while building your experience with application-based coursework in each class.
THE ADVISORY COUNCIL IS COMPRISED OF EXECUTIVES IN ORGANIZATIONS SUCH AS THE:
- U.S. Agency for International Development
- U.S. Office of Strategic Planning and Program, Bureau for Policy, Program, and Learning Comprehensive School Assistance Program
- Division of Health Security and Emergencies, World Health Organization
With the number of analytic and program evaluation degrees available, American University stands above the rest. Located in D.C., AU has a front-row seat to program and policy evaluation. We’re a regular stop for guest speakers from all over the world who enjoy sharing their experiences and providing additional insight to your learnings.
FACULTY EXPAND YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH THEIR OWN
Faculty for the online MS in Measurement and Evaluation program have been employed in the industry for over 20 years, and continue to work in their fields as they instruct your courses. Learn more about our faculty here.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COURSES ENSURE YOU’RE A FIRST-CHOICE CANDIDATE
Professional project managers and program evaluators realize the success of the program or project depends largely on how they were implemented and managed. In earning your degree, you’ll complete a series of professional development courses that teach you how to control the circumstances surrounding a measured event.
These five courses round out your skill set as an evaluator:
- Emerging Technology Trends
- Intercultural Communications for Professionals
- Evaluation Sciences
- Evaluation Qualitative Methods
- Professional Ethics and Project Leadership
WE’LL TEACH YOU THE SPECIALIZED SKILLS NECESSARY TO STEP INTO SENIOR MANAGEMENT ROLES
At the conclusion of this 20-month, 30-credit program, you will have the skills to:
- Improve the strategy, implementation, management, monitoring, and evaluation of projects using a Logical Framework (Logframe or Results Framework).
- Evaluate Statements of Work (SOW) and assess monitoring plans and performance-, impact-, and economic-evaluation designs. Design an evaluation that meets the stakeholder needs established in your comprehensive assessment.
- Evaluate relevant project data using qualitative and quantitative evaluation tools.
- Assess emerging trends and the impact of ever-changing technologies.
- Understand the value of ethical, intercultural, and agency/client/stakeholder relationships.
- Establish professional consulting relationships with all project stakeholders by demonstrating leadership skills and using appropriate correspondence channels.
- Appreciate the role of governance, both of self and of others, in data and program evaluation.
This experiential, online program is designed to drive success for U.S. and international students alike. International students, please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the requirements.
NOT THE RIGHT TIME TO PURSUE A DEGREE? GAIN CRITICAL EVALUATION SKILLS QUICKLY.
Even with the flexibility of the online format, sometimes the timing isn’t quite right to dedicate your resources to pursuing a full degree. To gain critical knowledge necessary for advancement, learn more about the Graduate Certificate in Project Monitoring & Evaluation. Its four courses focus on principles of evaluation, qualitative and quantitative research methods, and evaluation approaches & designs. When you decide to finish the MS in Measurement and Evaluation, you’ll have just eight additional courses to take.
IS MEASUREMENT AND EVALUATION THE RIGHT MS PROGRAM FOR YOU?
With numerous analysis-focused degrees available, how do you know the online MS in Measurement and Evaluation is the best degree to drive your career forward? We’re often asked how this differs from a graduate degree in statistics. Stats’ programs focus more on learning numerous mathematical principles and lead to research-focused roles, but you’ll find that the MS in Measurement and Evaluation program prepares you to excel in leadership positions in evaluation across industries. While you gain stats analysis as a key skill, you’ll integrate it with the other critical business and consulting skills you’ll learn that drive technology integration, professional leadership, communication, and cost-benefit analysis to determine overall program effectiveness.
COMPARE ANALYTIC PROGRAMS
In comparing project and program evaluation related degrees, American offers the MS in Measurement and Evaluation and two others. Each was created hand in hand with an advisory council to offer coursework that specifically speaks to the skills’ gaps executives seek to fill when hiring for new positions. So, if you’re focused on product development and its project management, you should look at the MS in Agile Project Management. If you’d like your career to lean more towards instructional design, then click on the MS in Instructional Design and Learning Analytics degree.
Rankings & Accreditation
Learn Measurement & Evaluation from a Prestigious University
Recent rankings for American University include:
U.S. News and World Report, 2018
- No. 69 Best National University
- No. 35 Best Colleges for Veterans
- No. 61 Best Value Schools
Princeton Review Best Colleges, 2018
- A Best Northeastern College
- No. 18, Top 50 Green Colleges
- Among the 382 Best Overall Colleges
Labor Insight Jobs & Industries (Burning Glass Technologies)
2 Carnevale, Anthony, et al. (June 2013). Recovery: Job Growth and Education Requirements through 2020. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce
Get Started Today!
To learn more about American University’s online MS in Measurement & Evaluation program, call 855.725.7614 to speak with an admissions adviser or request more information.