Project and Program Evaluation is on the Rise
The growth rate of program evaluation jobs reflects the relatively new status quo of transparency and accountability in spending that’s taken hold in government, nonprofit, and commercial organizations across the globe.
BECOME WORKFORCE-READY WITH THE PROFESSIONAL STUDIES EXPERIENCE
The online Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation program delivers the skills employers look for when hiring. To ensure students have that knowledge and understanding, we have built a four-phase curriculum model or framework called the Professional Studies Experience (PSE).
This model has been applied to the measurement and evaluation master's degree, featuring courses with professionally aligned classwork, as well as required courses that foster a broader skillset that employers have identified as relevant and valuable.
COURSES ALIGNED WITH YOUR FUTURE PROFESSION
Students receive advanced training focusing on building workplace skills in communication, teamwork, ethical decision-making, innovation, and emerging technologies. Students gain cross-cultural competencies and collaborative skills essential for success in the 21st-century global knowledge economy.
We offer a high-caliber education in measurement and evaluation that is relevant and immediately applicable to the workplace. Our curriculum goes beyond the reach of a standard master's degree.
ASHLEY BISHOP, MEASUREMENT & EVALUATION , CLASS OF 2019
"My master’s degree has provided the full academic credential I needed to continue working in the professional field of program evaluation. Without this comprehensive training, I had gaps in my technical skill set that needed to be addressed. It has allowed me to be better equipped to provide senior-level advisory support in these technical areas as well as to continue to work in delivering specialized support directly. I learned a lot about emerging areas in the field of data science and technological considerations that are changing the nature of work in these social sciences."
MASTER KEY ANALYTICAL SKILLS TO BE EFFECTIVE NOW
The flexible online Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation degree was created by American University explicitly to teach the insider skills needed to excel in an evaluator position of your choice. It prepares you to lead monitoring and evaluation efforts and be impactful in your current career while you learn.
92% of American University’s master’s graduates are working in the field, in graduate school, or both within six months.
PREPARE FOR A PROGRAM EVALUATION POSITION IN ANY SECTOR
In the last decade, regulations dedicated to accountability in spending were pushed forward, paving the way for many new evaluator positions. During this time:
- The U.S. State Department and the U.S. Agency for International Development established policies on the monitoring and evaluation of programs.
- Policies such as the Government Performance and Results Act Modernization Act of 2010 (GPRAMA) were enacted.
- Nonprofit and commercial organizations followed suit, making program and project evaluation a matter of routine.
- Industry growth is also noted in membership of the American Evaluation Association — the professional association of evaluators — which has more than doubled since 2001.
WORK IN ONE OF THE MANY TOP SECTORS FOR PROGRAM EVALUATION:
- Higher education
- Program evaluation firms
- Non-government agencies
SECURE AN EXECUTIVE POSITION SUCH AS:
- Top executive
- Operation manager
- Program analyst
- Management analyst/consultant
- Emergency management director
- Social & community service manager
- Market research analyst
- Operation research analyst
- Urban & regional planner
- Director of evaluation
LEARN MONITORING AND EVALUATION FROM THE EXPERTS
To deliver a strong ROI in your MS in measurement and evaluation degree, AU constructed the program with an expert advisory panel to offer an experiential degree that speaks directly to teaching the core competencies, best-practice standards, and industry trends while building your experience with application-based coursework in each class.
THE ADVISORY COUNCIL IS COMPRISED OF EXECUTIVES IN ORGANIZATIONS SUCH AS THE:
- U.S. Agency for International Development
- U.S. Office of Strategic Planning and Program, Bureau for Policy, Program, and Learning Comprehensive School Assistance Program
- Division of Health Security and Emergencies, World Health Organization
With the number of analytic and program evaluation degrees available, American University stands above the rest. Located in D.C., AU has a front-row seat to program and policy evaluation. We’re a popular destination for guest speakers from around the world who enjoy sharing their experiences and providing additional insight into your education.
FACULTY EXPAND YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH THEIR OWN
Faculty for the online MS in measurement and evaluation program have been employed in the industry for more than 20 years and continue to work in their fields as they instruct your courses. Learn more about our faculty here.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COURSES ENSURE YOU’RE A FIRST-CHOICE CANDIDATE
Professional project managers and program evaluators realize the success of the program or project depends largely on how they were implemented and managed. In earning your degree, you’ll complete a series of professional development courses that teach you how to control the circumstances surrounding a measured event.
These five courses round out your skillset as an evaluator:
- Innovation Through New Technologies
- Intercultural Communications for Professionals
- Data Driven Decision Making
- Professional Ethics and Project Leadership
- An elective of your choice
WE’LL TEACH YOU THE SPECIALIZED SKILLS NECESSARY TO STEP INTO SENIOR MANAGEMENT ROLES
After completing this 20-month, 30-credit program, you will have the skills to:
- Improve the strategy, implementation, management, monitoring, and evaluation of projects using a logical framework (logframe or results framework).
- Evaluate Statements of Work (SOW) and assess monitoring plans and performance-, impact-, and economic-evaluation designs. Design an evaluation that meets the stakeholder needs established in your comprehensive assessment.
- Evaluate relevant project data using qualitative and quantitative evaluation tools.
- Assess emerging trends and the impact of ever-changing technologies.
- Understand the value of ethical, intercultural, and agency/client/stakeholder relationships.
- Establish professional consulting relationships with all project stakeholders by demonstrating leadership skills and using appropriate correspondence channels.
- Appreciate the role of governance, both of self and others, in data and program evaluation.
This experiential, online program is designed to drive success for U.S. and international students alike. International students, please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the requirements.
NOT THE RIGHT TIME TO PURSUE A DEGREE? GAIN CRITICAL EVALUATION SKILLS QUICKLY.
Even with the flexibility of the online format, sometimes the timing isn’t quite right to dedicate your resources to pursue a full degree. To gain the critical knowledge necessary for advancement, learn more about the Graduate Certificate in Project Monitoring & Evaluation. Its four courses include: Principles and Theories of Evaluation, Evaluation Approaches and Designs, Data Driven Decision Making, and an elective of your choice. When you decide to finish the MS in Measurement & Evaluation, you’ll have just six additional courses to take.
IS MEASUREMENT AND EVALUATION THE RIGHT MS PROGRAM FOR YOU?
With numerous analysis-focused degrees available, how do you know the online MS in Measurement & Evaluation is the best degree to drive your career forward? We're often asked how this differs from a graduate degree in statistics. Stats programs focus more on mathematical principles and lead to research-focused roles. Still, you’ll find that the Master of Science in Measurement & Evaluation program prepares you to excel in leadership positions in evaluation across industries. While you gain stats analysis as a key skill, you’ll integrate it with the other critical business and consulting skills you’ll learn that drive technology integration, professional leadership, communication, and cost-benefit analysis to determine overall program effectiveness.
Rankings & Accreditation
#4 College Gets High Marks
Best Colleges (2021)
Prepares students for the 21st-century workplace through offering specialized, experiential, and data-driven programs.
#47 Best Colleges for Veterans
U.S. News & World Report (2021)
#91 Best Value Schools
U.S. News & World Report (2022)
AU is the 1st Carbon Neutral university in the US.
Accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
Get Started Today!
To learn more about American University’s online MS in Measurement & Evaluation program, call 855-725-7614 to speak with an admissions adviser or request more information.