This course explores the current and potential future impacts of new, emerging, and rapidly evolving technologies on organizations and their operations across a range of industries and sectors. Students will gain insights into these technologies and how these organizations are coping (or not) with the resulting disruption. In addition to tools and best practices, students examine the challenges and opportunities in designing projects that implement new and emerging technologies. Other topics include managing change in organizations as a result of disruption, the benefits and challenges of adapting new technologies, and legal and privacy issues. A case study project throughout the course investigates how to identify and implement a new technology that will solve a problem in an organization.
Sample topics of discussion and examination through the course include:
- Why use digital tools?
- Social media
- Collaborating and project management
- Leadership and technology
- Artificial intelligence
- Digital technology
Examples of assignments and projects include:
- Case study on a new technology in an organization
- Industry needs analysis
- Implementation plan for new technologies
- Literature review paper
- Industry technology presentation
Upon completing this course, you should be able to:
- Discuss the impact of disruptive technologies on project design, implementation, and transformation.
- Identify major areas where technologies can be applied and their implications for organizational change.
- Recognize current and emerging disruptive technologies and their potential to impact social conditions, the economy, and daily life.
- Design a project plan that incorporates a new and emerging technology and illustrates its impact on organizations and industries.
- Review current literature on the selection, implementation, and evaluation of new and emerging technologies and their impacts.
- Conduct and present a project on a technologies analysis that incorporates audio, video, and images.
- Compare and contrast current and emerging technologies and their implications for social ethics and the global workplace.
- Appreciate the unique characteristics of and differences between disruptive technologies and their impacts.
- Recognize the importance of ethical practices with new technologies.
Click here for the official course description from the American University Catalog.
Learn more today. Call us at 855-725-7614 to speak to an admissions adviser, or request more information here.