Help Others Make Healthier Food Choices
Nutrition-related issues have never been more critical to our nation's health than they are today. Whether the discussion is about organic farming, food deserts, nutrition labels, food insecurity, or our nation's obesity epidemic, people crave consumer-friendly, relevant and accurate information about nutritional health and the food we eat.
In fact, five out of 10 chronic illnesses in the U.S. today are nutrition-related. With a master's in nutrition, you can help combat misinformation and empower people in your community and beyond to make healthier food choices and improve their quality of life.
The online Master of Science (MS) in Nutrition Education from American University is a unique graduate program that focuses on both the science of nutrition as well as the educational strategies necessary to impact behavior change at the individual, community and population level. The advanced degree gives you the knowledge and skills to turn your passion for nutrition into a life-long career helping better the lives of others while strengthening the community around you.
Earn Your Degree in 20 Months!
Delivered through an innovative online platform, you'll gain focused theoretical and practical training in the field of nutrition. This exclusive online nutrition degree program couples nutrition science and behavioral change strategies. Students graduate ready to:
- Share their scientific knowledge in nutrition, consistent with health recommendations, with populations of different ages, genders and cultures
- Design and implement nutrition education programs in corporations, government organizations, schools and universities
- Use communication strategies such as social marketing and consumer-friendly health writing to communicate to the public and advocate for nutritional health
- Design studies and utilize research methods in order to analyze the relationship between nutrition and disease
- Develop programming and intervention skills related to nutrition
- Understand scientific principles of nutrition with education and program planning for improved health and nutrition behavior
"Our graduate census shows that 95 percent of our Master's graduates in the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) were employed within six months of graduation." - American University
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for this field is expected to grow 16% from 2014-2024, much faster than average.* Because it does not require a Bachelor's degree in Nutrition, this MS in Nutrition Education program is an excellent option for career changes who are passionate about nutrition. As one of only a few nutrition master's programs focused on nutrition education, the program is also ideal for students with a specific passion for using nutrition to better the lives of others.
Nutrition Education from Top Experts
Our program is taught by an experienced and committed faculty who:
- Are members of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Hold positions as fellows in the American College of Nutrition
- Conduct and publish research on the impact of nutrition on chronic disease risk factors, length and quality of life, obesity prevention and other topics
- Have been published in the Journal of Nutrition and other leading journals
- Are recognized experts on nutrition topics who are regularly featured on top news outlets such as CBS News, C-Span, Washington Journal and others
- Have experience as leaders of community gardening and nutrition education programs in their own communities
Accepted applicants to the program may be eligible for the Online Merit Scholarship. Review eligibility requirements here.
Learn more about the online Master's in Nutrition Education degree at our Virtual Open House from Dr. Anastasia Snelling, Program Director and Chair of the Department of Health Studies.
Prepare for Certification
This online degree program provides a stepping stone to the Certified Nutrition Specialist®™ credential. Additional coursework in clinical nutrition, bio/life sciences, and biochemistry, beyond what is included in this program, as well as supervised practice experience, are necessary for CNS® eligibility.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, accessed at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/dietitians-and-nutritionists.htm
Be a positive role model within the community. Click here to learn more about the online Master of Science in Nutrition Education or call 855-725-7614 to speak with an admissions adviser today.