There’s an increasing demand for strategic healthcare management leaders who have advanced business and decision-making skills and insights. They’re the proven professionals who can apply the interpretation and evaluation of organizational data analytics and emergent technologies, providing continued improvement to the health of their organization and their patients.
The online Master’s in Healthcare Management prepares you for a leadership career in this complex and ever-evolving field. Those looking to enter mid to senior-level healthcare management positions, independent healthcare consulting or healthcare policy analyst and advisor positions are well-prepared upon graduation to step into these roles with confidence.
By 2024, nearly 2.5 million new healthcare jobs will be created in the U.S.1
American University’s online Master’s in Healthcare Management affords healthcare leaders the opportunity to study in a program specifically geared towards managing the current challenges of healthcare. This project-oriented program was created to fill the rapid demand for professionals who can thrive with the business insights of the healthcare industry. It’s led by faculty with expert academic credentials in healthcare management who have a wide variety of experience in the government, nonprofit, and for-profit sectors of healthcare, consulting, and policy.
To ensure its relevancy and efficacy in preparing students for today’s healthcare system, the program was developed by industry professionals and a council of experts from organizations at the forefront of healthcare sciences. Council members include those from eHealth Ventures LLC, the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), and the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. Additionally, innovation leaders in healthcare management enrich students’ experiences as guest speakers who avail themselves to student interaction. Request more information.
The American University Master’s in Healthcare Management curriculum is specifically aligned with the Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA), Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME), and Healthcare Leadership Alliance (HLA) standards.
Become Workforce-Ready with the Professional Studies Experience
The online Master's in Healthcare Management program delivers the skills employers look for when hiring. To ensure students have that knowledge and understanding, we have built a four-phase curriculum model or framework called the Professional Studies Experience (PSE).
This model has been applied to the Healthcare Management master's degree, featuring courses with professionally aligned class work, as well as required courses that foster a broader skill set that employers have identified as relevant and valuable.
COURSES ALIGNED WITH YOUR FUTURE PROFESSION
Students receive advanced training focusing on building workplace skills in communication, teamwork, ethical decision-making, innovation, and emerging technologies. Students gain cross-cultural competencies and collaborative skills essential for success in the 21st-century global knowledge economy.
We offer a high-caliber education in Healthcare Management that is relevant and immediately applicable to the workplace. Our curriculum goes beyond the reach of a standard master's degree.
BUILD AN IN-DEMAND SKILLSET
This 20-month, 30-credit program provides a heavy focus on mastering the top three skills identified by the advisory council as most critical to healthcare managers in the industry.
- Evaluation: You’ll make successful recommendations for improvement strategies by understanding the key perspectives of multiple stakeholders.
- Data Analysis: You’ll successfully manage your organization and prove value in healthcare optimizations as you learn to manage, extract and interpret data from emergent technologies.
- Presentation: You’ll become a positive change agent in healthcare when you maximize the power of compelling communication in data, its analysis and the strategy of your improvement plan.
GAIN HEALTHCARE BUSINESS INSIGHTS INFORMED BY DATA AND ANALYTICS
The skills needed to manage cost, quality, and access lies in your aptitude to fuse data, technology, and delivery. By the program’s end, you will:
- manage and cultivate ethical, intercultural relationships.
- establish professional relationships with project stakeholders.
- evaluate and apply models of care delivery and payment innovation.
- deliver strategies to clinicians and staff to positively impact patient care.
- assess and implement new models of health optimization.
- evaluate and manage financial risk of various healthcare payment arrangements.
- manage patient safety and security risks in health information systems.
DEMONSTRATE HEALTHCARE LEADERSHIP
AU's Master of Science in Healthcare Management is a competency-based program. Its experiential nature places emphasis on “knowing how,” as opposed to just “knowing.” Course projects include:
- Healthcare management case studies
- “What-if-you-were-in-charge” scenarios
- Strategic planning with SWOT analyses (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats)
- Value-based care delivery and reimbursement evaluation and recommendations on benchmarking/best practices
- Real-world healthcare problems and solutions projects
- A capstone related to a student-specific healthcare leadership project with a multimedia presentation
92% of American University’s master's graduates are working in the field, in graduate school or both within six months.
HEALTHCARE MANAGEMENT CAREERS
The American University Master’s in Healthcare Management degree prepares candidates for careers as Medical and Healthcare Services Managers — a field that’s expecting more than 17 percent growth through 2024 with a median salary of $94,500.2 By 2024, 9.8 million new jobs will be created in the U.S., with healthcare-related occupations accounting for nearly one-quarter of this increase.1
You’ll be prepared for healthcare leadership roles in traditional and non-traditional settings and industries including: healthcare provider organizations, consulting roles, government agencies, law firms, insurance companies, correctional facilities, extended care facilities, pharmaceutical research, information technology, medical software, and healthcare informatics and analytics.
When you earn the healthcare management degree at American University, you benefit from superior educational rigor and networking opportunities. In fact, 92.5 percent of graduate degree holders find jobs or go on to further studies.
HEALTHCARE MANAGEMENT VS. HEALTHCARE ADMINISTRATION
Though closely related in title and growth rate opportunity, the healthcare management (HCM) role focuses on informed decision-making, and is more comprehensive in career duties and scope than a healthcare administration (HCA) role, which focuses more on front-office skills.
- Healthcare management includes planning, directing, coordinating and evaluating services provided by the entire organization. In addition, healthcare managers are required to make informed decisions commonly driven by data analytics; and conform to changes in healthcare laws, regulations and technology.
- Healthcare administration roles focus on personnel skills such as scheduling, staffing and front-office matters that are often specific to one department, not the entire organization.
You can gain a comprehensive view of the day-to-day differences between HCM and HCA roles from program director, Dr. Oestmann, here.
MORE BENEFITS OF AMERICAN UNIVERSITY
In addition to a rigorous curriculum developed by industry professionals, American University prepares you for career success with additional benefits.
- Free program-director advising and coaching: Meet with American’s program director for one-on-one pre-enrollment advising and post-enrollment career coaching.
- Free access to the Adult Career Coaching Center (ACCC). The ACCC provides support specifically targeted to the adult learner audience and provides a variety of services to assist in placing you in a successful career including: career guidance, resume review, job search and interview techniques, professional workshops, and networking events and the official Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) tool assessment and interpretation.
- Free HIMSS student membership: Students of the online MSHCM program at American University are entitled to AOA Student Healthcare Information & Management Systems Society (HIMSS) membership for free. Perks include discounted and free seminars, continuing education credits, journal and other resource access, specialized job and internship postings and more while you are an active student.
- Career focus: Curricular emphasis on decision making, communication/presentation skills and data analytic skills and analytical reasoning are particularly relevant for mid- and senior-level healthcare management positions, internal/external, and independent healthcare consulting and healthcare policy analysts.
Rankings & Accreditation
Rankings and Accreditations
U.S. News and World Report (2018)
- No. 69 National University
- No. 35 Best Colleges for Veterans
- No. 61 Best Value Schools
Princeton Review Best Colleges 2016
- No. 3, College Gets High Marks
- A Best Northeastern College
- No. 18, Top 50 Green Colleges
- Among the 382 Best Colleges
ONLINE GRADUATE CERTIFICATE AVAILABLE
Expand your skill set quickly with an Online Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Management. In as little as 9-15 months, you gain critical knowledge through four courses focused on the evaluation of healthcare delivery methods, processes, and technology innovation.
Advance Your Career in Healthcare Leadership
To learn more about American University’s online MS in Healthcare Management, request more information or contact an admissions advisor at 855-725-7614.