American University's School of Communication empowers students to take the lead with confidence as they pursue strategic communication careers. In the Digital Communication Strategies and Analytics concentration, you'll take a mix of coursework in digital marketing, social media strategies and tactics, grassroots digital advocacy, and digital communication analytics to help you capitalize on your organization's full range of paid, earned, shared, and owned media channels.
Employers today are looking for communication professionals who understand the integral role digital and social strategies play in promoting campaigns and inspiring action among a targeted audience. Through your concentration courses, you'll learn the theory and strategy of digital and social media measurement, as well as how to use Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to identify strategic insights, how to evaluate the success or failure of a campaign, and more.
In addition to a strong core curriculum in strategic communication, you'll gain hands-on experience in social and web analytics tools, so you get the skills necessary to sit for certification exams for platforms like Meltwater, Google Analytics, and Google Ads.
Through the degree and this concentration, you will:
- Plan and manage strategic communication campaigns that fully capitalize on and integrate paid, earned, shared, and owned channels (PESO)
- Use qualitative and quantitative research in developing and evaluating communication plans
- Familiarize yourself with certifications in commonly used digital analytics tools and techniques employed by strategic communication professionals
- Leverage digital marketing and advertising techniques, such as search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM), and display advertising
- Use digital advocacy strategies and organizing tools to support candidates, causes, and social movements
- Develop creative solutions to communication problems through analytical thought processes
- Provide expertise in social media management and content creation
Students choose three electives from the following course options. These electives fulfill three of the five required electives for the overall MA in Strategic Communication curriculum:
- COMM 551 Grassroots Digital Advocacy
- COMM 608 Social Media Strategies & Tactics
- COMM 669 Digital Strategic Communication Analytics & Certifications
- COMM 620 Special Topics: Digital Marketing for Strategic Communication
Communication Careers in Digital Communication Strategies and Analytics
Organizations of all types are looking for communicators who are not only familiar with digital communication platforms and tools but know how to strategically achieve campaign objectives based on audience insights.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, advertising, promotion, and marketing employment is projected to have more than 249,000 jobs by 2026, with professionals making a median annual salary of $129,380.1
Digital communication strategies and analytics graduates are prepared for career titles that include:
- Content Strategist
- Digital Advocacy Campaign Manager
- Digital Analyst
- Digital Analytics Manager
- Digital Marketing Specialist
- Digital Strategy Director
- Director of Digital Public Affairs and Advocacy
- Director of Web Content Strategy
- Social Media Manager
- Social Media Analyst
Pursue a fulfilling career helping organizations develop effective communication plans with American University's MA in Strategic Communication: Digital Communication Strategies and Analytics concentration. Call us at 855-725-7614 to speak to an admissions advisor, or request more information.
1Bureau of Labor Statistics (2017 May). Occupational Outlook Handbook: Advertising, Promotions, and Marketing Managers. Retrieved on February 11, 2019, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/advertising-promotions-and-marketing-managers.htm