This course applies the principles and skills from each of the strategic public communication courses to develop a practical case study. In this culminating skills component of the graduate program, you will produce a professional portfolio for a client that may include media promotional items; broadcast applications; direct mail and web-based products; content for newspapers, newsletters, and magazines; and other communication products.
In this course you will:
- learn the proper structure to develop a strategic communication plan, presentation, and supporting materials
- apply everything you’ve learned by choosing a client and designing a strategic communication plan
- pitch your comprehensive plan to the client
This course enables you to create a major research project for a real client in the communication industry from start to finish. You will begin by selecting a client to work with and then complete a series of milestone deliverables that represent component parts of a final report/presentation.
Activities include conducting a brainstorming session and creating a formal presentation with collateral materials. Assignments include performing a SWOT analysis, creating target audience profiles, drafting corresponding message maps, and creating a timeline, budget, and evaluation.
Interact with client representatives as you complete each milestone deliverable and receive formative feedback from the instructor. The course concludes with a presentation to the client. The entire experience will reflect the types of activities, interactions, conversations, and tasks that communication professionals encounter in the field.
- work with a client to develop a strategic public relations plan
- draft various public relations materials that are stylistically and grammatically correct
- become adept at researching and identifying news hooks and incorporating those ideas into materials to achieve objectives
- create a comprehensive body of work for a public relations portfolio
Click here for the official course description from the American University Catalog
Read Pallavi Kumar’s article on how the Strategic Communication plan project prepare students for the ever-changing PR industry.
Learn more today. Call us at 855-725-7614 to speak to an admissions representative, or request more information here.