This course provides you with an ethical framework for the practice of public communication and a concept of the ethical issues surrounding communication activities. Coursework provides the opportunity to investigate America's value system, the meaning and values of public relations in a global society, and the relationship between public relations, the media, and business. You will gain a comprehensive understanding of ethics in communication.
Upon completion of the course you will:
- Show knowledge and understanding of the role and value of public relations in organizations and society.
- Show an understanding of professional ethical standards in public relations and strategic communication and an ability to apply them in practice.
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant laws and regulations governing public relations and advertising.
- Recognize and critically assess contemporary public relations and strategic communication practices from ethical and legal perspectives.
- Critically analyze social media practices used in public relations and strategic communication from an ethical perspective.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of contemporary concepts and best practices in corporate social responsibility.
- Apply best communication and business ethics practices in public relations and corporate social responsibility.
- Think and write well and present confidently and persuasively.
- Public relations in global society
- Professional ethical standards in public relations and advertising
- Public relations and advertising in the “marketplace of ideas”
- Ethical engagement in the digital age
- Corporate social responsibility (CSR)
- Contemporary concepts and practices in social responsibility
- Assessing strategic communication practices
- Book, television, or movie reviews
- An essay on the meaning, role and value of public relations in global society
- An analysis of a Fortune 500 multi-national company’s most recent social responsibility report
Click here for the official course description from the American University Catalog.
Note: The content presented on this page is representative information for example purposes and is subject to change as courses and student needs change over time.
Learn more today about this ethics in communication course and others in the Advocacy and Social Impact concentration. Call us at 855-725-7614 to speak to an admissions adviser, or request more information here.