Strategic Communication: Online Courses
The Perfect Balance of Strategic, Analytical, and Creative Knowledge
When you choose an online Master’s in Strategic Communication from American University, you choose a program that has been developed for the way we communicate today. This program will provide a balance of theoretical insight and practical application to help you shape initiatives and bring your ideas to life. Each course weaves in strategic, analytic, and creative knowledge to connect with target audiences and align communication with the goals of your client or organization.
Over the course of this master’s program, you will:
- create strategic communication campaigns
- develop a professional writing portfolio with traditional and digital media samples
- use quantitative and qualitative research to define content, purpose, and target audience
- tell compelling stories through creative messaging and understanding the key factors in persuasive communication
- learn to integrate social media strategies and tactics with traditional methods
- utilize metrics to conduct overall evaluation of strategic communication campaigns
- understand and explore international approaches to communication including public diplomacy and cross-cultural communication
- examine crisis communication messaging and decision making
- explore messaging strategies specifically for creating change and action around social or political causes (in the Advocacy and Social Impact concentration)
The online program consists of 10 courses (30 credits), each eight weeks long, culminating with a capstone course that allows you to apply everything you have learned to a project in your specific area of interest. An optional Advocacy and Social Impact concentration provides you with the opportunity to focus on strategies and tactics related to social justice, political, and advocacy communication. In the end, you’ll be able to pursue better careers in strategic communications.
American University is pleased to offer select students an Online Merit Scholarship of $3,000, $5,000 or $10,000. Admitted students will be eligible for scholarship consideration based on academic credentials, professional experience and exceptional leadership skills.
Course Requirements (15 credit hours):
This foundational course teaches the six steps of building a public relations plan and prepares students to explore topics more deeply in subsequent courses.Link to Course Detail Page
Writing is the most vital skill in the field of public relations. In this course, you’ll develop strategic writing skills and explore the relationship between audience, message structure, and medium.Link to Course Detail Page
Research is central to strategic communication. This course is an introduction to quantitative and qualitative research methods in communication.Link to Course Detail Page
In this course, you’ll gain subject-matter expertise by answering a communication issue that hasn’t been studied before. You will design, develop, and execute a research study around this communication issue.Link to Course Detail Page