Fuse Data, Technology and Delivery to Lead in Healthcare
The healthcare industry is being transformed by technologies that pose daunting challenges while offering tremendous opportunities. As healthcare payments shift from a volume-based to a value-based system, healthcare management organizations will increasingly rely on technology to improve the quality and efficiency of care delivery. In turn, they will need tech-savvy leaders who can practically manage and evaluate new delivery and payment models and their enabling technologies.
By 2024, 9.8 million new jobs will be created in the U.S., and healthcare-related occupations will account for nearly one-quarter of this increase.*
The online Master of Science (MS) in Healthcare Management from American University links industry knowledge, analytic know-how and leadership skills to equip graduates to meet the challenges and opportunities of this rapidly evolving and complex field.
When you get a healthcare management degree at American University, you also benefit from superior educational rigor and networking opportunities. In fact, 92.5 percent of graduate degree holders find jobs or go on to further studies. Recent rankings for American University include:
U.S. News and World Report (2016)
- No. 72 National University
- No. 60 Best Colleges for Veterans
Princeton Review Best Colleges 2016
- A Best Northeastern College
- No. 7 Green College
- Among the 380 Best Overall Colleges
Build a Highly Sought Skillset
In this online master’s in healthcare management, you’ll build a unique skillset that is highly sought in health systems management organizations across the public, private and nonprofit sectors. This multidisciplinary degree incorporates professional leadership, evaluation science and information technology. Upon completion of this program you will be ready to:
- Use technology to improve the quality and efficiency of care delivery.
- Use quantitative and qualitative tools and methods to evaluate and present healthcare data.
- Develop assessments and design interventions that meet identified needs.
- Determine and implement effective strategies for managing patient safety and security risks in health information systems.
- Evaluate and manage the financial risk of various healthcare payment arrangements and understand their potential impact on healthcare providers and payers.
- Evaluate and apply models of care delivery and payment innovation along with changes to healthcare systems, processes, and strategies that can be adopted by clinicians and staff to improve patient care.
- Assess and implement new models of health optimization and the opportunities afforded by emerging technology.
- Manage and cultivate ethical, intercultural relationships within organizations and with clients and stakeholders.
- Demonstrate leadership and communication skills that can be used to establish professional relationships with project stakeholders.
American University’s experiential, project-oriented program was developed by industry professionals who are well-known and highly experienced in their fields. In addition, a council of professionals from organizations at the forefront of the healthcare sciences contributed their insights to the curriculum to ensure that it is relevant and designed to prepare students for today’s changing healthcare system. Council members were from organizations including eHealth Ventures LLC, United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. Students will also benefit from interaction with guest speakers from all over the world who are innovation leaders in healthcare management.
Online Graduate Certificate Available
Expand your skillset quickly with an Online Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Management. In 6-8 months, gain critical knowledge through four courses focused on the evaluation of healthcare delivery methods, processes, and technology innovation.
*8 Monthly Labor Review (December 2015). U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved from http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2015/article/overview-of-projections-to-2024.htm on February 2, 2016.
Advance Your Career in Healthcare Leadership
To learn more about American University’s online MS in Healthcare Management, request more information or contact an admissions advisor at 855-725-7614.