This course applies the principles and skills from each of the strategic public communication courses to develop a practical case study. In this culminating skills component of the graduate program, you will produce a professional portfolio for a client that may include media promotional items; broadcast applications; direct mail and web-based products; content for newspapers, newsletters, and magazines; and other communication products.
In this course you will:
- learn the proper structure to develop a strategic communication plan, presentation, and supporting materials
- apply everything you’ve learned by choosing a client and designing a strategic communication plan
- pitch your comprehensive plan to the client
This course enables you to create a major research project for a real client in the communication industry from start to finish. You will begin by selecting a client to work with and then complete a series of milestone deliverables that represent component parts of a final report/presentation.
Activities include conducting a brainstorming session and creating a formal presentation with collateral materials. Assignments include performing a SWOT analysis, creating target audience profiles, drafting corresponding message maps, and creating a timeline, budget, and evaluation.
Interact with client representatives as you complete each milestone deliverable and receive formative feedback from the instructor. The course concludes with a presentation to the client. The entire experience will reflect the types of activities, interactions, conversations, and tasks that communication professionals encounter in the field.
- work with a client to develop a strategic public relations plan
- draft various public relations materials that are stylistically and grammatically correct
- become adept at researching and identifying news hooks and incorporating those ideas into materials to achieve objectives
- create a comprehensive body of work for a public relations portfolio
Click here for the official course description from the American University Catalog
Learn more today. Call us at 855-725-7614 to speak to an admissions representative, or request more information here.